17 jun 2008

Virgina Woolf

Virginia’s death was not a product of a sudden twist of fate. On the contrary, it was a thoughtful decision. She had written two letters – one for Leonard and the other for Vanessa – beforehand. She had been preparing herself her whole life to do it and she picked up a moment in a sudden impulse. On the one hand, by leaving a letter to Leonard, she was protecting him from feeling guilty by assuring himself that he had done everything he could to save her. On the other hand, she was trying to justify herself by giving her reasons to do so.

March, 18 (?) – 1941.

'Dearest,

I feel certain I am going mad again. I feel we can't go through another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can't concentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thing to do. You have given me the greatest possible happiness. You have been in every way all that anyone could be. I don't think two people could have been happier till this terrible disease came. I can't fight any longer. I know that I am spoiling your life, that without me you could work. And you will I know. You see I can't even write this properly. I can't read. What I want to say is I owe all the happiness of my life to you. You have been entirely patient with me and incredibly good. I want to say that - everybody knows it. If anybody could have saved me it would have been you. Everything has gone from me but the certainty of your goodness. I can't go on spoiling your life any longer.I don't think two people could have been happier than we have been.
V


La muerte de Virginia no fue producto del destino. Por el contrario, fue una decisión meditada. Había escrito dos cartas con anticipación: una para Leonard y otra para Vanesa. Toda su vida se había estado preparando para esto y eligió un momento tras un repentino impulso. Por un lado, al dejarle una carta a Leonard, lo estaba protegiendo para que no sienta culpa al asegurarle que había hecho todo lo que podía para salvarla. Por otro lado, ella intentaba justificarse dando sus razones.


18 (?) de marzo de 1941

Querido:

Estoy segura que me estoy volviendo loca otra vez. Siento que no puedo afrontar otro de esos terribles períodos. Esta vez no voy a poder recuperarme. Empiezo a oír voces y no puedo concentrarme. Así que voy a hacer lo que me parece mejor. Me has dado la mayor felicidad posible. Has sido en todos los sentido todo lo que se puede ser. No creo que dos personas puedan haber sido más felices, hasta que esta terrible enfermedad llegó. No puedo luchar más. Sé que estoy destrozando tu vida, que sin mí podrías trabajar. Y sé que lo harás. Ya ves que ni siquiera puedo escribir correctamente. No puedo leer. Lo que quiero decir es que toda la felicidad de mi vida te debo a ti. Has sido siempre paciente conmigo e increíblemente bondadoso. Quiero decirte que… Todo el mundo lo sabe. Si alguien pudiera haberme salvado, habrías sido tú. No me queda nada excepto la certeza de tu bondad. No puedo seguir destrozando tu vida por más tiempo.
No creo que dos personas pudieran haber sido más felices de lo que lo hemos sido nosotros.
V